50 common phrasal verbs PDF

Pin It

50 common English phrasal verbs is a free PDF for readers of this blog.

I’ve gathered together fifty frequently used English phrasal verbs from my blog, and put them in this handy PDF with over 300 example sentences showing how these phrasal verbs are used in everyday conversation.

Some phrasal verb definitions and examples have the opportunity for you to practise using them in your own sentences, and at the end of the PDF are twenty gap-fill exercises for more practice.

Download your free copy by clicking on this link, here.

I hope it’s useful :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It
Send to Kindle
Angela Boothroyd
Hi, thank you for visiting this site - I hope you've found useful content here. For more information about the site etc, please see my About page and my manifesto. I'm also The Botanical Linguist and you can find me on the brand new Botanical Linguist site.
Angela Boothroyd
Angela Boothroyd

Latest posts by Angela Boothroyd (see all)

Comments

• says

I knew I should have got you to cast your eye over it and proofread it for me – I discovered a mistake on the PDF yesterday and had to quickly take it down and correct it :-)

1. Mary C. Weaver, CSCS says

Angela, this is a fabulous list. And all I can say is “I’m so glad I learned English as a child.” Really, we have some of the oddest idiomatic expressions!
    Mary C. Weaver, CSCS recently posted..How badly do you want it?My Profile

• says

Hi Mary,

I was writing about the phrasal verb ‘butter up’ yesterday and it struck me that it’s really a very odd expression and such a difficult one to explain. The best explanation I could come up with was to liken it to ‘soften up’ which has a very similar meaning and which is roughly what happens when we put butter on something – but I feel it’s not a very satisfactory explanation!

Then again, the reason I love phrasal verbs is because of their idiomatic element – even though this is the very reason that learners find them hard to learn and use.
      Angela Boothroyd recently posted..Phrasal verb: butter upMy Profile

2. says

Hi Angela

What I really like about the information in this download is that you keep things contextually neat. For example when I reached “look/ looking up” I thought “Oh, what about ‘look/ looking up to’ ” and then realised you were totally right to stop it where you did and that it would have been confusing to have gone off on a tangent like that.

I think that’s a great skill: to know when not to overload the student! ;-)
    Linda Mattacks recently posted..What drives YOU?My Profile

• says

Hi Linda,

Thank you :-) There were many more examples I could have included but because this PDF is only meant to demonstrate 50 of the most commonly used phrasal verbs, I did indeed have to resist the temptation to include all examples of each phrasal verb :-) I’m writing another PDF so that’ll give me the opportunity to expand on those I’ve already included.
      Angela Boothroyd recently posted..Phrasal verb: grapple with (something)My Profile

3. says

Hi Angela,

I think your 50 common English phrasal verbs PDF is an an excellent resource! Thank you so much for your hardwork in putting this together and sharing your expertise with us. I am sure it will help many. :)
    Anita recently posted..The Green-winged orchidMy Profile

4. Basheer Mohammed says

Hi Angela,

there is no words to express my thanks for this amazing resource. it would be a great asset to the English learners like me.

5. Daniela says

A very useful document… Thank you for this chance. :)
    I’m studying English, and on September I should retake for the 6th times my English exam at university. (C1 level – 3rd year)… so it’s a good help for prepare it as well as I can. :)
    Best wishes…

• says

Hi Madhu,

Yes, of course :-) I’d be grateful if you could either acknowledge its source in some way or leave the copyright details intact at the bottom of the pages – I don’t mind which – but apart from that, please feel free to use it in any way you choose :-) I hope it’s useful.

6. tigon says

Thanks for sharing the wonderful material !
    It’s so useful for the people whom English is not a native language like me.
    I’ll often visit your website to keep learning English.

7. Seyeong says

Angela, I really appreciate you for all your efforts. This list is just fabulous! It’s really helpful!!!!!!

8. KD Singh says

It’s fabulous nd helpful…. thank so much for uploading pdf which is really helpful for the learner like me… may I request u to please update few conversation lessons. .. it would be really useful for new learner like me… thank u…

Trackbacks